About SupportWorks and this guide
History: Back in the 1980’s, pediatrician Dr. Joal Fischer encountered many too many people with serious medical problems who didn’t know where to start to have a better life. To help those people find useful resources, share emotional support, and build strategies for coping and solving problems, he gathered some wonderful people together to set up SupportWorks.
Philosophy: We keep our organization small enough to provide personal service for each caller. Since organizations have different visions and staff with a variety of skills, we strive to set up coalitions and maintain productive and enjoyable relationships with other nonprofits. And it’s more fun working with others than trying to do everything alone!
Funding: Our funding over the years has come mostly from donations from a wide variety of individuals, foundations, and corporations. Although donations are of course accepted with a smile, at this time our entire budget is paid from donation of profits of Barking Dog Chocolatiers.
Ethics: We are a totally independent organization, accept no advertising, and remain transparent regarding our methods and authorship. We work very hard to maintain confidentiality and have not had a single breach at any time over these 23 years.
• Marcie (“Gracious as can be”) Braden
• Darlene (“Blessed friend”) Byrd
• Shannon (“Southern girl”) Caddell
• Joal (“No middle name”) Fischer
• Jinny (“Always there”) St. George
• Laurie (“Designer”) Graybeal
• Cindy (“Font of Wisdom”) King
• Deborah (“Sweetie”) Langsam
• Ed (“Keep on truckin'”) Madara
• Gloria (“Cuisine Enthusiast”) Mills
• Robert (“Generosity Personified”) Martin
• Dan (“The Code Dude”) McArdle
• Buddy (“Got a tune?”) McManus
• Paul (“Name that tune”) Moritz
• Ellen (“The Baker”) Myers
• Sam (“The Tech Man”) Nimmo
• Amy (“Watch Out”) Rivers
• Wendy (“The Detail Lady”) Rodenbaugh
• Elena (“No challenge too big”) Scott
• Adam (“Lightning”) Semel and
• Barbara (“Always a smile”) White.
Got a question? Feel free to contact us.